Antique Safes/Oldie but goodie cannonball safe.

Cannonball safe
Cannonball safe  

Cannonball  safe
Cannonball safe  
Looks like u have seen this befor 9 12 2011. It is a friend of mine that is the owner. He had the safe open at one time, and someone has since wound the time lock and closed the door. The question u asked then was the 1892 age. It has a serial number inside on the plate that contains the time lock. I have taken some additional photos of the safe. Roy has the serial # written down in another town that he will b returning to 7-10-13. If I can email pics, I took some with the cover removed from front.

The time lock is ONLY meant to secure the door for a finite amount of time.   If it was a 72 hour movement, with 72 hours wound on it, then at the end of this period, the lock would unlock and the door would open.

If it doesn't open, then you have more problems than the time lock.

I notice in one of the photos that it appears that the regular combination lock has been removed.    Did this safe have a relocking device attached to the lock??   if so, this may be jamming the bolt work and keeping it from opening.   

If the safe had an automatic locking system as part of the time lock, was it wound???   If not, it may not have released correctly either.

Looking at the photos (provided), the safe appears to have a lot of rust.  Even a thin coat of rust on the mating surfaces of the door and jamb, can seize the door.    If it has been closed for any length of time, the rust can continue and seize the door even further.    As far as easily turning the door - if it is rusted, you are basically fighting against a surface area of about 8-10 square feet.   This would possibly require a tremendous amount of force to rotate the door, to loosen or open it up.

There are a number of things that need to be checked to find out why the container hasn't unlocked.  

I would be happy to look at the photos you have, hopefully their might be something in one of them that might give us a clue as to why it won't operate.

Send the photos to me at:  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada