Antique Safes/Opening a Schwab Combination Safe

Question
My employer has an old Schwab combination safe that no one knows the combination to.  We don't want to drill holes in it to open it.  Any suggestions on a locksmith that can open without drilling holes?

Answer
Ken,

Several things - First I NEVER recommend using a locksmith for safe work.   The majority have no experience, a lack of knowledge and usually no tools, which means that they will either be "learning" on your safe, or simply ruining it.    You need a safe technician from a local safe company that has training.

Second issue is manipulation.   Even though many safe technicians may have some training in manipulation most are simply not proficient in it.   For numerous reasons they simply don't get enough practice to become really good.   Unlike TV and internet rumors, most of them have very little time to sit around practicing, waiting for a safe to come along that needs opening.   In reality they have to make money to run their shops and feed their family.

Third - while EVERY mechanical combination lock is subjective to manipulation, in the real world not all can be manipulated.   Again for a number of reasons, some of which have to do with manufacturing tolerances, some having to do with clean or dirty, etc. etc. etc.   Again it's not like the movies.

Lastly, you may not have a safe technician, in your area, who is trained or competent in manipulation.

what does this mean to you (or your employer)???   You can contact some local safe companies and discuss the project with them.   EVEN if they have a trained safe technician, Manipulation is NEVER guaranteed, this means that you WILL be paying for the service - NOT the result.

Drilling, when done correctly by a competent, professional safe technician will NOT ruin your safe or the lock.   It may not be necessary to replace any parts, and the very small hole used, can easily be repaired.

While I'm not trying to dissuade you from "how" you would like the safe opened, I'm trying to get you to be a little more realistic on what to expect.

Discuss the project with potential safe technicians to get an idea on what their skills are, how they propose to open AND repair the safe, AND what the charges are.   Please pay attention when they are discussing charges as many times customer ONLY hear the last number mentioned, and are hugely upset when they get the final bill!!!!
If the safe technician really knows what they are doing, they should be able to give you a flat rate price to include the mobile service charge - Cost to open And repair the safe.   There should be NO hidden charges, such as drill bits, or welding rod, or what ever.   If they haven't been doing it long enough to know what to expect then they are simply learning at your expense.   This also includes safe techs that are only going to charge you an "hourly fee".

I routinely have customers who think that my flat rate fees are excessive, and choose to go with a locksmith who charges by the hour, thinking that we are all the same.    Three days later when they finally get the safe opened but have destroyed it, and give you a bill for about 30 hours worth of work - while I agree that they are thieves, they haven't really cheated you as they told you up front WHAT they were going to charge!

The only caveat to the flat rate pricing is obviously parts.   While my pricing covers all of my labor to open and repair the safe (including my drill bits, etc. etc.)   It does not include parts necessary to return your safe to working order.   In most cases parts are not required, but occasionally a dial or lock needs replacing.   This would be a legitimate fee.

As you didn't mention WHERE in Georgia you are located, I can't point you to anyone in particular.   I can give you a reference - Check with Ron, if he can't help you, he may know of someone closer that he would recommend.

Protection Lock and Equipment
770-436-0302          Ron Snively
2347 Beaver Creek Road
Smyrna, GA 30080

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)