Antique Safes/Safe Handle

Question
Hi, i have just purchased what looks like an antique floor safe. The brass handle is broken (T shaped handle) ie: half of the T is missing. Could you tell me where i can find a replacement handle from and is it an easy job to replace?

Answer
Gavin,

Good luck finding antique safe parts.   There is/are no "aftermarket" manufacturers of  pieces parts or items for safes.   Unless you can find a similar safe (in worse condition) to use as a donor for your parts, your options are limited.

Generally if you need an item like this, it will have to be hand fabricated.   Having a machine shop available will make it more convenient, though - these days - most machine shops are NOT interested in making single items.   They are looking for those jobs where they can make 10,000 units, of exactly the same thing.

If you can't find a machine shop, you can possibly make a replacement handle if you have some mechanical capabilities and tools available.

As far as replacing the handle, it will depend on your safe.   Some of the older safes had the bolt work exposed and it was easy to access to service or repair.  Some of the safes had the bolt work hidden under an insulation material - these are not easy to work on, and the insulation may have to be removed to expose the bolt work.

The amount of work necessary WILL depend on the safe that you have and how it is constructed.

If you don't have the capabilities, I would recommend that you check for a local safe company to have them do the restoration and repair work to the safe.

Wish I could be of more help.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)