Antique Safes/Safe Information

Question
Terry,

I am assisting a recent widow with her estate.  A part of which includes a safe with the following markings -RC Allen Business Machines, The Military Line, Grand Rapids, MI, safe #496658, fire class "C", T-20 tamper resistant door.  The widow has no idea what if anything the safe may contain, that information passed on with her husband.  She is trying to clean out the garage where this safe in located but is hesitant to sell it for scrap prior to determining if it contains anything.  Obviously, she does not know the combination and from what I can determine, the RC Allen company either does not exist or been acquired by another entity.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike Lundgren

Answer
Mike,

I have no information of this company as a manufacturer of safes.   Chances are they were selling other items and the "safes" were simply a side line - as indicated by the "RC Allen Business Machines".

The container will have very little "scrap" value, as it has very little metal in it.   Usually a thin inner and outer skin, sandwiching insulation media, for the fire resistance.   The "T-20" rating is (as indictated) a tamper resistant rating, and NOT burglary resistance.   Chances are this safe is from the 1950's or early 1960's, so it also doesn't meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance.

The only problem with some safes from this "era", some manufacturers MAY have used asbestos in some of their models.   We would need to ID your safe to determine whether or not yours may be affected.   Another method would be to have the insulation material tested by either a HAZMAT test facility (check with your fire department, they would have a number), or you can order a "home" test kit at:   lowes, home depot, CVS Pharmacy, etc - or by going to:    http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp.

Cost to have the safe opened and repaired could easily run $350 to $500, which may be more than the safe is worth.    If the safe has asbestos, you may have disposal fees to deal with.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)