Antique Safes/safe opening

Question
I HAVE A FLOOR SAFE WHICH THERE IS NO NAME ANYWHERE ON THE SAFE IT HAS A BRASS DIAL  THE HANDLE TO OPEN IT WITH HAS SOME NUMBERS ON THE ROUND PART NOT WHERE YOU TURN IT TO OPEN ON THE BOTTOM THERE ARE 2 SCREW I THOUGHT THAT,S WHERE A NAME PLATE MIGHT BE ALSO DO NOT HAVE A IDEA WHAT THE SCREWS ARE FOR THE HINGES ARE  SQUARE HINGES ABOUT 4 OR 5 INCHES LONG THE DIAL IS ABOUT 4 INCHES A CROSS CAME OUT A STORE BUT NO COMBINATION THE PEOPLE IN THE STORE HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE COMBINATION IS CAN THE NUMBERS ON THE HANDLE BE THE COMBINATION. PLEASE HELP I RATHER NOT DRILL IT OPEN IF POSSIBLE DO NOT KNOW IF ANYTHING INSIDE. PLEASE EMAIL ME BACK. THANK YOU JOHN

Answer
John, it sounds like you have a very old safe but without a photo, I can't be of much help at all.  There were many dial combination locks, made in the mid 1800's, which are just not seen anymore, some totally unknown to the safe techs of today.  The majority of safe techs out there are not proficient at manipulation, so you may be getting into an expensive proposition, especially if the lock is one that, for various reasons, cannot be manipulated.  But first, let's see if the safe and more importantly the lock, can be ID'd.  You may have something very rare on your hands.  And where are you located?  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen