Antique Safes/samuel withers safe value

Question
samuel withers
samuel withers  
I recents got a hold of a samuuel withers safe its 24inchwide 26inch deep and 5ft tall double doored two plain brass handles and brass plate has lion on top of the crown it is little rusted still usable no keys but is unlocked how much could it be worth to sell it private or to someone who refurbs them

Answer
Hello Stuart,

Thank you for your question.

Samuel Withers safes are quite commonplace so they don't tend to fetch too much and double door models are not particularly popular.  However, they do scrub up well and can make attractive drinks cabinets or whatever.

Provided the safe is unlocked, it should be relatively easy to get new keys cut to the existing lock or if it is too damaged, they can replace it.  The best way to find a good local locksmith with knowledge of safe locks is at www.locksmiths.co.uk - the website of the Master Locksmiths Association.

There are buyers who like to take these old Victorian safes and recondition them to a very high standard before selling them on.  The best place to get an idea of prices is on eBay.  Search 'antique safes' and you are bound to find quite a few and possibly another Sam Withers.

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer