Antique Safes/Victor 1908 Vault Door for Bank

Question
Victor bank vault
Victor bank vault  

Victor bank vault 1908
Victor bank vault 1908  
Hello I own an old bank in forest junction Wisconsin that was converted into a home. Inside is the original bank vault, outer door, inner double doors, outside equipt with burglar alarm sign, drop box ect. We have purchased another home and before selling our house wanted to know if this is worth anything or how to go about selling it. Thank you so much looking forward to your answer! If u need more pictures of other parts or close ups no problem.

Answer
Callie,

First question:   Where did you come up with the "date" (1908)????   Manufacturers never put a "date" of manufacture on their safes or doors.   If you got the date off of the door, it is probably a "Patent date", ONLY indicating the date the PATENT was issued.    As far as the door goes, the only info that THIS date gives us, is that we know it could NOT have been made prior to the issuance of the patent.   Patents were issued for periods of up to 20 years.

As the Victor Safe & Lock Company was acquired by Remington-Rand in 1926 or 27, this gives us a time frame of 1908 to 1926 that your door could have been built between.

Next item Value:   In general vault doors have "NO Sales Value" if they are installed, as yours currently is, as there are several negative values that come into play.   Such as:  Cost of removal, Cost to repair the opening after the removal, Shipping costs and installation costs at the new location.

If the door was NOT installed, cleaned and ready for sale, then we could easily throw some potential numbers at it, but it isn't.   Look at some of the variables, IF we determined that the door was worth xxx$'s in its current condition, but it was significantly damaged during removal - you've wasted your time lining up potential buyers that might no longer want it.

On the other hand if the door was removed, cleaned and ready for sale - NOW if you have a price and show it to potential buyers they are getting it in AS IS condition.

Cost to remove doors like this, depending on how they are installed, and if they are grouted in place, could easily be in the several thousand to $10,000 range.   Generally the removal cost is yours.   The buyer has to look at shipping costs and installation at the new location.

If you are interested in selling the door as a stand alone unit, then you need to have it removed, and all old debris cleaned and removed.   Have the door and all parts crated and ready for shipping - then it is ready for sale.

I would be more than happy to look at photos of this beautiful door, including photos after it has been removed from the wall, to evaluate its condition for you.

Last problem that you will have is selling it (unless you possibly have a buyer lined up before hand) is going to be storing it until it sells.   While I do get requests from a couple buyers each year looking for doors like this, it can easily take several years to actually find a buyer.    Safe companies are generally not interested in doors like this because they do not meet current standards for banks.   So this door is basically going to be a very expensive decoration for someone.

Last option would be to sell it with the house.   It may be more valuable left in place than sold as a separate item, as this was a bank building at one time!

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)