Antique Safes/victor cannonball screw door safe

Question
VICTOR SAFE
VICTOR SAFE  
I JUST GOT A 1910 VICTOR CANNONBALL SAFE,THAT MEASURES 63H,36W,30D
DIAL IS 20-100. WE MOVED THE SAFE ABOUT 5MI, THE DOORS WERE OPEN,AND
BOTH LOCKS WERE UNLOCKED. I JUST CLOSED THE DOORS,THE BOTTOM COMPARTMENT IS FINE. THE SCREW DOOR IS THE PROBLEM, I CAN'T REMEMBER
WHICH WAY I ROLLED IT CLOSED,CW OR CCW.I DIDN'T GIVE IT MUCH THOUGHT
BECAUSE IF IT DIDN'T TURN ONE WAY, IT WOULD THE OTHER RIGHT??? WRONG
THE MOVE WENT FINE, AND I HAVE IT PRETTY WELL LEVEL & PLUM IN THE
GARAGE, BUT I HAVE PUT GOOD PRESSURE ON THE HANDLE, AND IT WON'T
MOVE EVEN MOVE A FRACTION. IT HAS A 3 MOVEMENT TIME LOCK, BUT IT WAS NOT RUNNING,AND THE DIAL LOCK WAS UNLOCKED. ANY IDEAS??????

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
         DWIGHT

Answer
Dwight,

I looked at some other photos that I've got of this safe to determine rotation of the door.   It appears from the photos that when the door rotates counter clockwise when inserting (closing) the door, and clockwise when opening the door.

While the dial controls the handle and/or rotating the door, it does not "lock" the door.

This means that the handle would rotate in the opposite direction, or clockwise to close the door and counter clockwise to open the door.

As these doors "seal" extremely tightly when closed.   If something has become lodged between the door and the door jamb or frame, it could easily jam it.

There are two locking pins, that secure the door in place when it is closed and the locks activated.   In some of the photos I have of this door, they  were partially disassembled, if it wasn't reassembled correctly it is conceiveable that they may have engaged the door jam.   As the time lock controls these two pins, even if there is no time on the lock, if it wasn't reassembled correctly, it is conceiveable that they could be engaged.

If this is the case, then it may be necessary to drill the safe to manually retract these two locking bolts.

Ensure that the combination lock is fully unlocked so that it does not interferr with the rotation.   If it is fully unlocked, then the problem is probably the two interior bolts or the door is simply jammed.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)