Antique Safes/weight of old mosler patent safe

I have an old mosler patent safe with the following dimensions:  31” wide, 37” tall, and 27” deep, with wheels.     

Can you folks give me an estimate of the weight of the safe?  The interior is just wood shelving…   The reason I am asking is that we are considering moving it to a new location, but it has to be moved down a flight of about 45 stairs in an old commercial building.  My father moved it here  when we changed offices 30 years ago, but as he has passed, I’m not sure what the weight was. My movers would like to know so they can determine if they can move it for us…

The number on the handle is `138299’

Thanks, bob

Unfortunately Mosler went out of business in 2001, so contacting them to find out any actual information is going to be rather difficult.   Based on the serial number you have provided, the safe would have been manufactured around 1899-1901, so it would be an antique safe.

Weight is going to be in the 800-1200 lb range, probably around 1000 lbs.

Note:   With the door open to a 90 degree angle, it can be lifted off of the hinges.   This would remove about 1/4 of the weight of the safe (200-250 lbs), which would make the safe a little easier to work with.

As the hinges may be rusted, special equipment may be necessary to remove the door.   Clean, service and lubricate the hinges, with a good bearing grease, before re-hanging the door.

Caution:   Care should be taken as the stairs will NOT be in the same condition that they were in 30 years ago.   Also as this "IS" an antique safe, there are no replacement parts available, AND any damage can affect its value - dramatically!

Moving heavy items like this, especially down stairs requires special equipment and training.   Always remember that Gravity is MORE than happy to lend a hand - but it is not your friend!   You only have one chance to do this correctly AND safely.   Once you have started, you are pretty much in it until you and the safe reach the bottom - good or bad!
When gravity and weight are involved, things happen really quickly, and usually NOT for the best.

I recommend that you use a qualified safe moving or rigging company that specializes in moving items like this.  It may cost a little more, but its better than experiencing a loss of life or limb!

Hope that this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada