Antique Safes/York Safe

Question
Hello.
       I have a old York safe that was give to me, it is open has serial numbers, model and I guess safe model, it says to have a key to change lock inside the door, and has a hole you can see a lock tumbler system, on this door it says do not take this off to change combinations, York Safe Chest, Group 1, serial number 18894, than another number on tag 11124A, and a model or style number on front 3725, any ideas on how to change combination or what? Thanks.

dp.

Answer
Dale,

Yes, I do know how to change the combination on your safe - though to do it you will need a trained safe technician WITH the correct tools.   As York as been out of business for around 50+ years (acquired by Diebold from the US Navy around 1946, Diebold discontinued the label around 1959 or 60), parts and/or tools are NOT readily available.

Changing combinations is NOT a DIY project, for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of knowledge, training, (and in this case) tools, can result in a really expensive lockout (possibly ruining the safe).

What few tools (like change keys) are available, are generally NOT for sale.   In fact due to the lack of tools even many safe techs might not have the correct ones for your safe.

Bottom line, I would check with a local safe company to have their trained safe tech, do the work.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know and/or would recommend, in your area.

Your other option would be to use the safe as is, though I would NOT recommend closing and locking the door, until after you have verified its proper operation.   If it doesn't operate (with the door open), as smooth as oil, then you probably need to have it serviced anyway, so you are back to having someone who is trained, check it out - service it AND reset the combination.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)