Antique Safes/Alpine Safe and Lock

Question
Doug:  I have purchased a safe I found in a computer shop in Charlotte Michigan.  I would like to have it restored to original condition if possible.  I have noticed that some of the screw are new (not original) I'm not really interested in dollar value more its just a cool thing to own and use.  I do know if its worth big dollars restore would lower it value but what are the chances of it being worth big dollars.  I'm looking or someone who can restore it in the Jackson Michigan area.  The thing weights a ton and it was a job just getting it home.  Any help would bring many thanks.  I have goggled but have not found much.  Can you help!!!!!   I can take pics if that would help.

David

Answer
David, it is not necessarily true that restoration reduces the value of collectable safes any more than it does of artwork or automobiles.  Anyway, Alpine is not real high up on the list, so in your case, make it as nice as you want with the money you want to spend.   Yes, pics will help as well as specific questions.  As far as restorations go, contact Tom at Hoogerhyde Safe in Grand Rapids(Google), he should be able to help you find someone.  I know he has used Matt Lamborn here in Ohio, but he may know someone closer to you.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen