Antique Safes/Antique Diebold and Wherle safes

Antique Diebold Safe-front
Antique Diebold Safe-f  

Diebold lock-interior
Diebold lock-interior  
I recently purchased a large double-door Diebold safe that is missing the lever and bolt in the locking mechanism. It is also missing a finial and my Wherle safe is missing finials as well. Would you have an idea where I might purchase these parts? Thank you!

Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket makers of parts for old safes, and manufacturers do NOT keep stocks of these old parts after they cease to use them on new safes.    As far as "old" parts - they are stripped off of old safes which are either ruined or in such a state of disrepair (rusted out) that it simply isn't cost effective to restore them.   generally though, locksmiths and safe companies, strip the parts for their own use, or their collections, and NOT for sale.

What this means is for you to find a part, you need to know EXACTLY what you are looking for (have part numbers or samples), and be prepared to shell out the big bucks.    When I indicate "big bucks" this is due to two reasons - 1.  many of these items are obsolete, or possibly collectible by themselves.    If you want someone to part with an item that they may never see again, you had better be prepared to pay for it.   2.  next reason is time to dig through their boxes looking for the item.    Rarely do the locksmiths and safe companies have these old parts organized for sale.   They are simply stored in boxes in their work areas.   Taking time away from normal business, to look for an old part takes time.   As this is usually a one time event, they aren't normally enthusiastic about looking for the item.

Last item - though an important one.   Rarely will someone part our a lock.   Once you sell a single item out of the lock, it is virtually worthless as a whole lock.   So bottom line you may be buying a whole lock, even though you only need one or two items.

Options,   If you can get a drawing or photos of the lock, you can have some items made at a local machine shop, though this COULD easily cost you as much or more as the original lock would have.   Unless you have some machining skills, and a small machine shop available, this can get expensive.   Also, few machine shops are interested in taking on the "one item" jobs.   They generally are looking for items in the 1000 plus range, for the same item.

For instance used hinge acorns might run around $50 to $75 ea, "IF" they are even available, where new machined ones could run $125 to $200 each, depending on the material and finish.   While the new ones will be much nicer than the older ones, and can add that "pop or zing" to your old safe, the older used ones, are more than likely to be dinged, pitted, damaged, discolored or even painted.

While I do have a couple boxes of old acorns (finials), I would need to see some really good photos of yours, along with measurements, to see if I have anything that might match.

As for the Diebold lock, I possibly have one or two locks available.   I also have some photos of the roller bolt, lever assembly that another safe owner hand made for his lock a few years ago.   

Send the photos of your acorns, as well as the request for the lock and/or photos and I'll see what I can come up with.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada