Antique Safes/Basic info wanted

Question
Front view
Front view  

Hinge and artwork detail
Hinge and artwork deta  
Hi!  We recently purchased a home built in 1752 and with it came an old safe. We believe it was made in the late 19th century but are looking to confirm. It was open, but when my husband moved it out of the closet the door closed so now it is locked. It is in good condition with black paint and gold painted details. The name on the bottom of the door is D.W. Huntley Boston, Mass, which we presume to be the maker of the safe. There is also B.W. Pond painted at the top of the door, which we are guessing is the Safe's original owner. The interior was in good to fair condition from what we remember. There were 3 shelves: the top had a door that locked, the middle was a drawer and the bottom shelf was open. The right half of the safe had no shelf.

If you can give us any information about this safe we would appreciate it. We love history and woul like to learn more about it and determine who to contact to open it again. We are located in Ayer, Ma. Thanks!!

Answer
Misty and Matt,

I would be more than happy to look at your safe, to determine who made it, etc.

As you have surmised the "B.W. Pond." was probably the original owner, or an owner at some point.

I have no information of any manufacturer by the name of "D.W. Huntley", so chances are this was merely a seller or distributor.

There are several companies that were making similar safes to yours, unfortunately we won't be able to compare to make a definitive determination until after you have it opened.

Fortunately for you, you have one of the best safe crackers on the east coast in Massachusetts, you can contact him at:  

Hanover Lock & Safe / Lock Defeat Technology
787-871-4346 or 781-826-8872   Philip Shearer
990 Washington St.
Hanover, MA 02339

I would recommend that you give Phil a call to see if he can help, if not he may know of someone closer to you.   There are a number of small safe companies in MA.

Once the safe is open, if Phil hasn't already ID'd the manufacturer, and/or you need an evaluation or appraisal, I would be happy to look at it for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)