Antique Safes/The dreadnaught safe

Question
Dreadnaught
Dreadnaught  
Hello, I am after some information regarding a safe that I want to purchase.
The only information I really have on it is that it is black with brass lever and brass badge that says "The Dreadnaught" it is in a building that was built in 1871 however I'm not sure what age the safe is. What would be a fair price for me to offer for this? It is in a derelict building with no reserve price. It looks a little rusty and paint worn of here and there from the photos I've seen, I think its a round 3-4 ft tall. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Answer
Rick,

Unfortunately, there over 100 small safe manufacturers during the mid to late 1800's, in four cities in England.   All manufacturing virtually identical fire resistive type safes.   With the exception of the name plaque, the handle and the key locks - these safes were so identical, if you removed the identifying items, they would ALL appear to be the same.

Most of the safes made by these companies, were only ship throughout the UK, which provides a couple problems.   As numerous examples of these are found throughout the UK, values are artificially suppressed.   In countries where there are fewer examples, they might get a better price.

Generally these safes go for around 150 to 200 British pounds (around $240 to $320 US dollars), far less than a similar US safe from the same period might be worth.   One big reason is due to strict US patent requirements, most of the US safes were very different from their competitors.   With few exceptions, which usually had approval for use of another's patent, lock designs, body designs, even the material used for heat resistance was designed differently.

In England for example, in most cases, the name plaques may be worth more than the actual safe as a complete unit.   You can check out the following web sites for some examples.

http://www.www.shopadilly.co.uk/Auctions/safe+plaques

I would also recommend that you contact one of the other experts on this site (allexperts/antique safes), Tom Gordon.   Tom has worked his whole career in England, and specializes on antique English safes, and (by his own account) has the largest collection of safe plaques in the world!

Tom should be able to answer more of your questions concerning this safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)