Antique Safes/Drop safe

Good morning, I have a wico corporation drop safe.  Model number 5431  made in Niels illinois  it has a roller type top where you put items in and then turn it to drop items into the safe.  I have a key that opens it.  Wanted to try to find the value/price of this safe.  Keep going back and forth on whether to try to sell it.  So far I have not been able to find any information on this safe.  Any help would be appreciated.. Thank you in advance.

Hi Debi,

I too have a "Wico Corp. depository safe, sn 2045.   While they are unique, they are not collectible, and have little resale value.   This company pretty much just made vending and coin operated machines.   The depository safes was a very small portion of their business, so customers would have a place to store coins and cash.    The safes were only made for a few years during the 1970's or early 1980's.

While they do meet current "basic" standards for burglary resistance, there are no parts available, and are considered obsolete.    Even if new locks were installed, it is still considered an obsolete container.

If I was going to sell mine, I would probably have a price tag of around $400 to $500.    Similar "CURRENT" model safes would go for around $800 to $1000.   Chances are it wouldn't sell very quickly, but then again, I don't have my safes for "sale" purposes!   If you need to sell it or want to get rid of it, then be prepared (flexible) to lower the price tag.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada