Antique Safes/Hall antique safe appraisial

Question
I have a Hall safe made in Cincinnati,Ohio not sure of the age, and would like it appraised. On the inside doors it has a Macneale & Urban lock system. The dial is in letters, the number on the dial is 45748. The safes width is 5'9 1/2 in. The height of the safe is 6ft'5 3/8 in. The total height with wheels is 7ft'2 1/2 in. Approximate safe weight is 10,000 lbs. Safe has double doors on the front and inside doors. The outside depth is 34 5/8 in.

Answer
Calvin,

If your safe has a MacNeale & Urban lock on the inside, then you do NOT have a "Hall's safe".   While it may have been sold by them, and both companies were out of Cincinnati, they DID NOT cross over!    If the dial has letters instead of numbers for the combination, then it is a MacNeale & Urban and NOT a Hall's safe.

Unless your safe is actually a Bankers Model, the chances that it weighs 10,000 lbs are also very slim.

So obviously the first step would be for us to figure out what you actually have, and approximately when it was made.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you.  

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)