Antique Safes/halls & co safe

painted safe
painted safe  
I have a Halls &, I cannot find a serial # or anything to identify the age of the safe, it is in beautiful condition. Here's what I know. It has a huge handle and requires a four number combination, which I have. It's been hand painted by an artist, I've seen this before on a much smaller scale. The entire safe is painted a glossy dark lavender, with a flowering tree, trimmed with double edge white border with "limited edition" written at the bottom front. Towards the right is says " #1 of 50"
Inside there is carpeting, and cubby holes, and a hidden compartment in the floor. I would like to sell this but have been unable to locate any indication of the worth. How would a person identify the age of a safe or what would be a fair price?

While you have a "Hall's" safe, it is NOT from the original Hall's Safe & Lock Company (1867-1892), or even from the Hall's Safe Company (1896-late 1920's).   Your safe was manufactured by Robert Hall out of Loomis, CA during the 1970's through about 2000.   When Robert sold the company, the company that bought it went through a bankruptcy.   It was purchased by another company and moved to Oregon.   Safes built by this company are NOT the same as yours.    I have no idea if they would have any records from the original company.    Generally with the "carpeted interior", it is probably from the late 1970's through the late 1980's.

The reason that "YOUR" safe does NOT have a serial number is that EVERY safe that Robert Hall built was individually built, and NOT a production model safe.   While aesthetically, Roberts safes were some of the nicest safes in the industry, they weren't designed for anything other than the "lowest" burglary and fire ratings.   I don't believe that he ever submitted any of his safes for UL testing, and it probably has no UL labels on it.   So regardless of how nice the safe is, if it doesn't have the labels, then it doesn't meet the standards.

As far as value, basically what you have is a "non-rated" security container, with a very nice finish.   As I haven't seen the interior of your safe, I can't comment on it.

Value:    Probably in the $800 to $1200 range

Again, this safe is at least 25-35 years old, and was never UL tested for fire or burglary resistance.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada