Antique Safes/Herring Safe

Question
I am looking to bid/buy a Herring Safe. It can be seen on LETonlineauctions.com. I have been trying to find info. on this company but have found very little. The marker on the front of the safe says:
Herring & Co. Manufacturers Feb. 7th 1865 40 State St. Chicago Ill.  I have not been able to find anything about this co. in Illinois, only New York and Philadelphia.  So...

Is this a Herring Safe from Chicago from 1865 like the bronze plaque with fish says?  or is this some kind of fake? What kind of value would you give it? 34" tall 24" wide
Thank you! Mark

Answer
Mark,

The Herring Safe Company manufactured safes out of New York City.   Herring had a very good relationship with the Farrel Safe Company, Philadelphia.   They did not manufacturer in Chicago, Ill, this was simply a "sales outlet".

Herring & Farrel formed a co-partnership around 1861 with the firm being known as "Herring & Company.    Between 1869 to about 1881, safes were marked (generally) by which factory they came from, so if a safe was built in the Philadelphia factory, it was listed as a "Farrel & Herring" safe, and if it was out of New York, it would have been a Herring & Farrel" safe.   After Silas Herring's death in 1881, the name was again changed to Herring & Company, and stayed this way until the 1892 merger of Herring & Company (with the Farrel safe works), Hall's Safe & Lock Company, and the Marvin Safe Company, to form Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe company.

The Feb. 7th, 1865 date is simply a patent issue date, and NOT a manufacturing date, though with the "Herring & Company" logo, it would probably been built prior to the 1869 date (though this is more of a generalization, than a hard and fast rule).

Your safe isn't a fake, it simply lists the Chicago outlet for advertising purposes - nothing more, nothing less.   Luckily it also has a key for the main lock, which is known as a grasshopper lock, designed & patented by William Hall in August 1848, and licensed to Silas Herring for manufacturer and use.   Cost to fabricate a key (if lost, could easily run between $350 to $700, and there are only a handful of safe techs that I would recommend to make it.

Safes like this can go at auction for $1000 to $2000, depending on how well they are advertised and how much interest is generated.   If a single safe is at that particular auction, it may generate more interest than if several were offered.

While I would evaluate this safe in the $1500 to $2000 range - in its current condition, ultimately its "CURRENT" value will be determined by what someone is willing to pay at the auction.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)