Antique Safes/John Tann safe box

Question
Dear Mike, Apologies if you think we have repeated the question. You said you would like to see the key - so have sent a photo of it. We would like to know how to oil the lock, hence the question about graphite?  Many thanks. Peter

Answer
Hi Peter, no problem. I have sent the pictures to an old friend who retired as Technical Director of John Tann. I have asked for his comments.  Meanwhile graphite powder is an ideal lubricant.
Mike Palmer FSyI

Hi Peter,

My old friend has resonded.  He says the chest is a List 1, but can't tell me a lot more other than manufacture seems to have started around 1866.  The Walbrook address covers the period from 1857 until 1870. The key is to a 'guarded lever' lock patented in 1843.

That's about all we can tell you but we both agree it is a lovely thing!

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer