Antique Safes/Missing combination

I have an old safe manufactured by Reliable Safe company in Covinton Ky
I tried the combination you sent another customer. Here is your answer

"I do have one series of combinations that you can try, if these don't work, then you will need to contact a local safe company.

4 times left to 42,
3 times right to 88,
2 times left to 99,
1 time right slowly to 22.

If this doesn't work try adding 5 numbers to each number in the combination until 20 sets have been tried.
If the driver wheel number is not 22, you can determine the drive wheel number by putting slight pressure on the handle and turning the dial until you feel the driver gate".

I don't understand the paragraph where you say to add 5 Numbers to each number...  Can you explain in further detail.  

Thank you,

I would think that would be pretty self explanatory????

for your first number of 42 plus 5 would = 47, or

42 - 47 - 52 - 57 - 62 - 67 - 72 - 77 - etc. etc. etc. . . . .

Do the same thing for the other wheels until you have 20 sets of numbers.

If the driver gate is NOT 22, then you would need to determine where the gate might be, and adjust all of these numbers accordingly.

Sorry, but if these instructions don't make any sense, then it is probably better for you to contact a trained service technician to have them check your safe out, and either open or recover the combination for you.

Also ensure that you ARE dialing the numbers correctly.   If you don't follow the instructions exactly then it doesn't matter if you have the right combination or not, it still won't open.

Good luck.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada