Antique Safes/Mosler Safe 1916

Question
Mosler Safe Co. 1916
Mosler Safe Co. 1916  
Mr. Andreasen,
When purchasing my store, a safe was left behind. Due to the heavy weight of the safe we have not been able to move it in the 7 years we have done business in this building. We are now interested in possibly selling the safe. I have researched but not found any concrete details. The safe must weigh 1000 lbs. if not more. It is a Mosler Safe from 1916. It has 3 shelves and an area with a few slots. It has two dials on the door and one large lock. Looking for any other details that could help me sell this!

Thanks!
Nicole

Answer
Nicole,

First question - where did you come up with the 1916 date???   Manufacturers never put the date of manufacture on the safe.

Unfortunately I can't tell anything about your safe from the photo - it doesn't allow any real detailed examination.

As far the weight of the safe, if it is the style I think it might be, it may be heavier than this.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a lot of safe companies capable of moving this safe in Iowa.  Probably the nearest is going to be either St. Louis, Mo, or Chicago, Ill.

You would have to let me know exactly where you are located (zip code), so that I can make a recommendation.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)