Antique Safes/National Safe & Lock Co.

Question
Same model
Same model  

front+safe
front+safe  
Hello Terry
I am interested in seeing if it is cost effective to restore an old safe I found in a big truck I bought. I looked inside and there is a plaque over the workings of the door that stated it is a National Safe. The combination dial is missing but it appears everything else is pretty much there. I will send along some pictures if possible. It appears to weigh 1500 lbs and is @ 3 feet tall and @ 30 inches wide. I would like to fix it up and use it for my business. If you are able to shed some light on it I would appreciate it.
Thank you

David Bellagamba

Answer
David,

While I applaud your efforts to repair and/or restore the safe, I'm kind of confused as to why you would plan on using it for your business???    This would be similar to having your great-Grand father become your new security guard, and wouldn't make much sense for the same reasons!

The National Safe & Lock Company was in business manufacturing safes from 1883 until they were acquired in 1920 by the SteelCraft Corp. of America.   Safes were continued to be manufactured though under the logo - National Safe Company or National Safe Division of SteelCraft.    SteelCraft discontinued the safe divisions in 1929.

If you plan on restoring it, and having it as a conversation piece in the business, then that would be a different matter.

I'm not sure what you actually consider "cost effective".   If you are comparing it to buying a new safe, that will actually provide the necessary burglary or fire resistance that you require, then the answer would be "NO"!   If you are considering restoration of a collectible safe, (and possibly antique), then that is a different matter as the "cost" of restoration wouldn't really matter, unless your goal is to sell it as an antique or collectible (subject to actual age).

Cost of restoration WILL be determined by what work is necessary, and what work is done.   Actual value of the safe would be determined by an appraisal AFTER the work is done.

So before we can go any further, I guess the real question is what is YOUR plan???   I would need a better idea of what you intend to do, to be able to answer specific questions concerning restoration of this safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)