Antique Safes/OLD SAFE

Question
I HAVE READ SOME COMMENTS ABOUT SAFES ON YOUR SITE. I HAVE A RELIABLE SAFE FROM KY, WITH NO COMBINATION AT ALL FOR IT , IT HAS A LEVER STYLE DOOR LEVER WITH DIAL AND HINGES ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE.OUR SAFE IS OPEN NOW AND THE LEVER SEEMS TO MOVE UP AND DOWN OK BUT THE MAIN BOLTS DONT MOVE AT ALL. IS THING FIXABLE AND CAN YOU GET A NEW STYLE LOCKING DIAL. CAN THIS BE TAKEN APART TO FIND A COMBO FOR IT. THIS WAS MY GREAT GRANDFATHERS SAFE. DONT KNOW HOW OLD IT IS. THE HOUSE WAS BUILT IN 1908. THANKS CRAIG

Answer
Craig,

If the safe is open, then everything should be repairable.  Obviously without seeing your safe, or having it here where I can look at it, I can't comment on what it would take to get it operational.

The Reliable Safe & Lock Company was in business and manufacturing safes from 1916 until 1941, so the safe isn't as old as the house.

As far as the combination, it can be recovered by observation of the lock.    I NEVER recommend any type of disassembly of your safe lock as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   If one item is reassembled incorrectly, it can result in an expensive lockout.

I would recommend that you contact a local safe company, to have a qualified, trained safe technician examine your safe, to recover the combination, and make any repairs necessary to return it to an operational condition.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I know in your area that I might recommend.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)