Antique Safes/Old safe. Reads "Library Bureau" "Underwriters Laboratory"

Question
Tag
Tag  

Whole Safe
Whole Safe  
Andy,

I was recently given an old safe my friend had in his shop for years. I believe it came from a Construction job(he is a contractor).He had a locksmith open it years ago. It has a single Brass Tag as well as the number 4 stamped on several hinges. I have two possible Combinations; one written on the side, one stamped on the handle. Neither seems to work from all my attempts, they are both 4 digit Combinations. one specifies R,L,R,L. I have attached three photos that seemed relevant.

I really appreciate any Direction you can point me,

Zack

Answer
Zack,

Well your safe appears to (possibly) be a Schwab "class B" (2 hour), fire resistive safe.   Probably from the 1940's.

First off, numbers stamped on the safe or handle are NOT combinations - that would be pretty silly for a manufacturer to stamp the combination where anyone could easily see it.   They would also be liable EVERY TIME anything was ever missing out of the safe.

As far as the "4 number" concept - the combination would be something like 12-84-36, which is three numbers or SIX digits.   Assuming that the safe has a "YALE" lock by the RLRL you have indicated, the dialing sequence would be as follows:

4 times Right to the first number,
3 times Left to the second number,
2 times Right to the third number,
1 time Left until the dial stops (around 10).

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is Clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If the lock is NOT a Yale lock, but a Sargent & Greenleaf, the dialing sequence would probably be reversed or  LRLR vs RLRL.

If you still can't get it, then chances are you are either still making a dialing error, or more likely you do not have the correct combination or numbers.   Its probably time to have a trained safe technician check your safe out.

Contact a local safe company to schedule up the service.   NOTE:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes, and can cause excessive damage or charge exhorbant fees.    If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)