Antique Safes/opening a combination safe

Question
hello my name is troy I recently bought a house and in the garage I found a safe in the floor it is a titan safe mfg gary safe co combination dial serial #14204 I would like to know how old it is the house was built in 1966 also I need to open it but I have no combination for it please help.      thankyou,   i

Answer
Troy,

Question - does it say "Titan" or "Titan II"???   The Titan's were manufactured late 1960's through the mid 70's and is basically a Gary series 50 tri-bolt door.   The Titan II's were built between 1975 to 1981, this door is basically a single bolt lug style door.

Chances are that either model would have been installed long after the house was built..

The dialing sequence for the locks on these doors is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.     

On the Titan door, you can simply lift the door out.   On the Titan II, you now need to rotate the door to release it, and then lift it out.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

As this company is no longer in business, records for original combinations are also no longer available.    While safes are still being built under the "GARY" logo, this is NOT the same company.

While you can try random combinations, You will probably need a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith), to open the safe for you.   As there are NO parts available, you need it opened as damage free as possible, to avoid ruining the door.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)