Antique Safes/Opening a safe

Question
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-Safes-3774/2011/9/yale-towne-safe-1.htm

We have this identical safe and can not open it. The combination says CCW 3 turns stop at 60, then 3 turns CW AND STOP AT 20, then 2 turns CCW and stop at 73, then CW to 2

Tried this multiple times yet the safe will not open

Any suggestions appreciated

Answer
Larry,

While you may have a "Similar" safe, I doubt that you have the identical safe.   Over 95% of the owners that I get emails from, where the safe does not have manufacturers markings on, have no idea what they actually have.   

If you are looking at the markings on the lock - DO NOT confuse these as also being the manufacturer of the safe.   In this case hundreds of manufacturers used Yale locks on their safes at some point.   So until you get the safe open, and we can actually ID what you have the safe open and we get an opportunity to examine it and ID it, we will stick to the info that we currently have - your combination.

there are ONLY three reasons while a safe lock will not open - in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.  Mechanical problems.

Generally when safes are passed along, the combinations are past on or written down the way that the previous owners understand them, and NOT necessarily the way the lock actually works.   Pretty much that is the problem that you have with your combination.

If we use the BASIC info in your combination of the CCW-CW-CCW-CW (or LRLR), the dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number, 60
3 times right to the second number, 20
2 times left to the third number, 73
1 time right to stop at 2.   Turn handle to open.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance for your first number you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the FOURTH time the number 60 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.
There is no starting point, and you are NOT counting revolutions, simply repeat 60 once, 60 twice, 60 three times, and stop at 60 the fourth time it arrives at the index mark.

Next item - MOST Yale locks dialed RLRL NOT LRLR, so your combination MAY be written down incorrectly.   If this is the case the dialing sequence would be:

4 times right to the first number, 60
3 times left to the second number, 20
2 times right to the third number, 73
1 time left to stop at 2.   Turn handle to open.

If the lock and/or safe still won't open, then chances are you don't have the correct combination.   At this point, you will probably need to have a safe technician from a local safe company check the safe out, and/or open it for you.    
NOTE:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.
If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zip code), and I'll see who I know in your area.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)