Antique Safes/can not get safe open

Question
dear terry I hope you can help me. my husband has an old Remington rand safe standard me type.he had not opened for awhile,when he tried he just could not get it opened.he is sure he has the right combination right 3 times to 90 left 2 times to 60 right 1 time to 30.we can not find the card that he had wrote the #s on if you cannot help do you know a locksmith that could help.we live in Malone ny thanks for any help you can provide

Answer
Frances,

There are ONLY three reasons why a safe lock will not open, they are (in order):

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  mechanical problems.

based on your description of the problem, you probably have problem #1.

The dialing sequence should either LRLR or RLRL as follows:

4 times Right to the first number, (90)
3 times Left to the second number, (60)
2 times Right to the third number, (30)
1 time Left until the dial stops.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Dialing sequence will depend on the lock that you have installed, but generally LRLR would be S&G, and RLRL would be Yale.  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you still can't get it to work, you need a safe technician from a local safe company - NOT a locksmith.   I NEVER recommend using locksmiths as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations in your area - you may have to check in the Montreal area for someone.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)