Antique Safes/Value and background of antique Austrian safe

Question
Antique Austrian Safe
Antique Austrian Safe  

Top plate of the safe
Top plate of the safe  

My dad would like to sell an antique safe inherited by my grandfather. It's iron cast and has "Bolt lock", "Made in Austria" and "imported by Dalmann & Company Singapore" imprinted on the top plate with a "sun" image. It has 2 locks.

We would be grateful if you are able to provide the circa date and background of the safe and also the value of this safe.

Thank you.

Answer
Bee,

sorry but my specialty is antique American made safes, not Austrian or European antique safes.   I would however recommend that you contact David or Desmond Siah of "Siah's Old Safe Service" in Singapore.   David specializes in exactly this type of safe.   He has many examples of similar safes which have been restored.   I would check with him to get some ideas on the value.

I would also recommend your checking with local antique companies (when you have more information about your safe) to get an idea of what a similar safe would go for in Australia.   They are going to have a better "LOCAL" idea than I will have.

Any appraisal that I give you, WOULD be based on what I believe the safe would go for here in the US.    Note:   As this type of safe WAS a standard import item through Singapore, you will find more examples of similar safes, than you would in the US, as these were not imported into the US.

In order to answer questions or do any research for you, I would need to know who the actual manufacturer of the safe is, and not an importer.   While it may be possible to get some info on the importer (Dalmann & Company), this has no bearing on when the safe was made or actually sold.   The manufacturer's name should be on the "plaque" on the door.   Unfortunately, I can't read it off of the photo (poor resolution).

You can contact Siah's Old Safes at:    http://www.sosantiquesafe.com/   You can also find them on Facebook.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)