Antique Safes/wilder's patent safe

Question
outside of safe
outside of safe  
inside of safe
inside of safe  
QUESTION: I found a Wilder's patent salamander S.C. Herring maker safe from 139 Water St N.York iunder my stairwell when i remodeled a room and was wondering the range of value it may have. It is 24 in wide 21 in deep and 35 in tall.

Than you
Charles

ANSWER: Charles, normally I would say $1000 minimum for any Wilder safe.  It is open and looks to be at least in fair condition if not better.  Do you have a working key?  This does matter.  However yours is one of the earliest ones I've seen.  The canted wheels were seen on many of the earlier hobnail safes of the 1820-30's, and had disappeared by the 1850's.  So your safe is probably right around 1845, and because of that, it has a greater value, especially to a serious collector. Of course from these pictures, it is impossible to really determine condition, but even if it has serious hidden rust problems, which are typical on these safes, I think $2500-$3000 is not, at all, out of the question.   Doug

QUESTION: Thanks Doug!

I have not located a key and was wondering how significantly it changes the safe's value as I am seriously  considering having a locksmith makung me a new one.

Thanks again!
Charles

Answer
If that safe is built like I think it is, the lock will be buried in insulation and that really complicates making a key.  On the other hand, fitting a key without removing the lock is extremely difficult and very few locksmiths would even consider a job like that.  Even fewer would be successful.  To make matters worse, a cobbled together key, doesn't add all that much value, at least in my mind.  Only a decent looking one would really add value, but that alone is expensive, even with the lock in hand. I do that type of work and it could run $1000 if the lock is buried.  That safe is purely a conversation piece and should not be used, so having a key made... maybe not.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen