Antique Safes/Alpine Safe

I'm trying to open a OLD Alpine safe, T handle number 50110 with a silver dial which has only 50 numbers and no 0. If I apply pressure to t-handle the dial binds at 30, 40 and 50 as well as 7 and 22. I've looked in a few books for information yet nothing of any help so here I am writing to you for some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but other than giving you the proper dialing sequence for the safe, we do not provide ANY opening information, for obvious security and liability reasons.   We have no way of telling who you are, and/or what your authorization to work on the safe is.

Alpine safes had both three wheel and four wheel versions, dialing sequences could be run both LRLR or RLRL, and resulted in TWO different combinations, depending on the direction for dialing.    Without knowing how many wheels your lock has, you are simply guessing on the dialing sequence.   If I had to guess, I would say it is probably a three wheel lock.

Four wheel locks:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right stopping on the fourth number - turn the handle to open.

if this doesn't work, reverse the sequence or RLRL vs LRLR.

Three wheel locks:

3 times left to the first number,
2 times right to the second number,
1 time left to the third number - turn handle to open.

If this doesn't work, reverse the sequence or RLR vs LRL.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you made a spreadsheet, with three wheels and a 50 number dial, you would have about 125,000 possible combinations to try.   if you tried every other number, this would only be about 15,625 possible combinations to try - probably close enough to get it open.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada