Antique Safes/combination

Question
Reliable safe pic
Reliable safe pic  
Saw your possible combo to try on this Reliable safe.....should lever be down or to the left when input of combo??

Answer
Randy,

I'm not sure "WHAT" combination that you are referring to.   The lock used on the Reliable safes, have the capability of around 14,000 possible combinations, far short of the 1 million or more on most safe locks, but still a substantial amount.

The handle is in the "down" position, when the safe is locked.   The dialing sequence is as follows:

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops - then turn the handle, clockwise to retract the bolt work, to open the door.

The lock uses three combination wheels and a drive wheel.   Each combination wheel has 24 possible variations.   Unfortunately, as the dial has 100 numbers, and there are no references between the dial and the combination wheels, you may have to test ALL of the 1,000,000 possibilities to hit the 14,000 possibles that are on the lock.

During the 1930's and 1940's locksmiths were trying to determine the "magic" combination or sequence that safe makers would use on their safes.   Unfortunately, the majority of the work they did was simply to observe combinations found on safes that they had the opportunity to work on.   Bottom line, there is no magic number - each safe left the factory set on a unique combination or series of numbers.   So in the case of Reliable, they could make or sell almost 14,000 safes before ever using the same combination twice, so if they made say, 60,000 safes there might only be 4-6 of these safes having the same combination.

Sorry, wish there was a magic number, but if there was they wouldn't be very safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)