Antique Safes/Damon safe

Question
QUESTION: I recently purchased a Damon safe from an antique shop in Connecticut. My plan is to have it restored, however my first issue is getting it open. We have no combination.  Do you have any recommendations?

Thank you
Tom Cahill

ANSWER: Tom,

The Damon Safe Company was in business from around 1885 until at least as late as 1918, manufacturing safes in Boston, MA.   They also used the names "Damon Safe & Lock Company", or "Damon Safe & Iron Works".   They had factories in Cambridge and Philadelphia as well as sales offices in Boston.

Manufacturers never published any records concerning serial numbers or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons, so there are no records to try to look up old combinations.

This pretty much leaves you with two options, you can try all of the possible combinations for the lock on your safe, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it and recover the combination for you.   NOTE:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.   Even safe technicians need to have a good understanding of these older safes, which many do not.

If you don't have a local safe company, with a trained safe technician in your area, let me know your location (zip code) and I'll see who I might know or recommend.

QUESTION: Andy, thanks for the reply. I have known for a few weeks I would be getting this safe today and have had no luck locating a safe company interested in this job. I am located in zip code 02052 approximately 30 minutes south of Boston MA

Thank you
Tom

Answer
Tom,

I've got a friend, who is also one of the best safecrackers on the east coast, not too far from you.

Philip H Shearer
Hanover Lock & Safe
990 Washington St
Hanover MA, 02339
Phone: 781-826-8872

Contact him to see if he can help you.  If you are able to take the safe to him, it could probably save you some $$$'s, but I'll let you and him work out the details.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)