Antique Safes/Diebold safe age information sought

Question
Diebold Fire Safe
Diebold Fire Safe  

Inside of door
Inside of door  
Hi Andy:

I would like to know the approximate date of manufacture of the Diebold safe that my great-grandfather owned and passed down to his son, my grandfather.  

The information I have is as follows:
Spec F1-D, Serial number 1Y308143
Concrete inside door is stamped 1912 40.

The safe door was open.  I decoded the combination from the wheelpack, because it is unlikely that anyone can find the combination in the massive amount of records my grandfather left behind.

There is a key-locked door inside the safe.  No one has the key for that.  I am guessing it is a lever-type lock.  Do you have suggestions on opening it non-destructively?

Thanks, Austin

Answer
Hi Austin,

Your safe is from the late 1940's or early 1950's.   The lock on the safe is probably the Diebold series 900.

The key lock on the inner door is held on by two screws, which you can possibly see on the front of the door.   If you try to drill the screws out with a small drill bit, they may actually back out, releasing the lock.   If they don't back out, then simply drill them out, and retap the holes, replacing the screws later.

The lock can then be taken to a local safe company or locksmith shop to have a key made.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)