Antique Safes/Hall vault door change key

I have a Hall vault door with no change key to set combo on. We had a cobjob key made by a Diebold tech but that got broken when our tech tried to set combo. Now we have 2 different combos on door. I have pics on my email that I can forward to you.if I can get an address. One pic is cobjob key, other has been drawn by Maurice Jones @ It is copied off the key that Diebold made so I know the rear part of key is not correct. The end with the four teeth on it is close to correct. I'd like to get a proper key if possible and have a good copy made. Any help would be appreciated. Send me a reply so I can forward these two pics. Thanks, Ed Everett

I have no idea of what a "cobjob" key is, or refers to, or where a supposed safe tech came up with this term.   The only "definition" of this term that I could find in the "Urban Dictionary listed it as follows:

1.Services performed by somebody so bad that it has to be redone.
2. To receive something from somebody else that doesn't feel good.
3. there is a third term which I will politely ignore at this time.

So by default, "IF" you received a key made by a Diebold tech, which was SO BAD, that it has to be remade, then #1 that guy isn't a safe tech, and #2 you should probably look for more competent service providers.
Next item would similarly address your reference to Mr. Maurice Jones and his so called "online service".   Again if he is addressing a similar key, so poorly made that it would be called a "cobjob" key, then I would recommend that you no longer use his services either.    As Mr. Jones indicates on his site that he has been in the business for 30 years, I would question either his authenticity or professionalism by offering a poorly made item.

As I do not know Mr. Jones personally, and can only address him based on your statements and his web site - I won't go any farther  than to indicate that at this time I would NEVER recommend him  for use by a professional safe technician, and CERTAINLY not for someone attempting to DIY items for their safe.

So that brings us to where we are with YOU at this point.   As you have not identified the correct safe company that you are dealing with, nor the actual lock which you are dealing with, I can not assist you or point you in the correct direction.   During the past 180 years there have been AT LEAST 3 different "HALLs" safe companies, manufacturing safes.   Regardless of whether or not these Hall's were related or not, the companies were during different time periods and used many different locks.   So the first order of business is to correctly ID the manufacturer of the safe that you have, AND second the actual lock that you are working with.   Once we have correctly ID'd what you have, THEN we can start looking for either the correct change key or a substitute.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada