Antique Safes/herring hall marvin safe

thank you for your prompt response to my first question. is there any diagrams that show where the door locking pins are and what the locking mechanism looks like inside? are there actual tumblers?  last question are the walls filled with concrete or just steel? thank you again

While there are some drawings and photographs in the industry, these are NOT available to anyone.   You have to be a licensed/registered locksmith or safe technician, AND a member of the association or organization that might have these items available.   Many safe men have their own private libraries, but again these items are NOT made available.

As HHM manufactured 100's of thousands of different types of safes, the first thing that any safe technician would have to do is to identify exactly WHAT you have to get the applicable information that they need to open your safe.   

As far as "Tumblers", no, combination locks use wheels, each wheel has a different reference number associated with it, when the combination is dialed correctly, the lock would engage the wheels and open.

The material in the walls WILL depend on what type of safe you actually have.   Fire resistive safes use insulation material to keep heat out.   This material will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model.   Materials may consist of gypsum, plaster of Paris and even concrete.  Burglary resistive safes have stronger materials which can consist of different layers of steel with varying levels of hardness, drill resistive barriers and even glass and ceramics.   These safes are designed to protect against many different types of tool attacks and from allowing unauthorized people to gain access.

Sorry if the answers seem slightly vague, but they are for two reasons, #1 under no circumstances do we provide any information on this site, for opening safes, other than the proper dialing sequence.   This is for obvious security and liability reasons.   We have no idea who you are, or what your intentions are towards the safe.   This site is also a general forum open to anyone, so even if YOU do not have "illegal" intentions, someone else reading it might.
#2 reason - As mentioned we haven't been able to even identify what type of safe you might have, other than it was made by HHM.

Hope you understand why we can't give out information about opening safes.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada