Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin safe

Question
I was recently was given a safe from a family member that used to be in the jewelry business who used to buy all of he safes used. He has a few left over, one being a Herring Hall Marvin double door safe with a inner vault. The doors are currently off of it and sitting on the top.  It has a Tag stating Underwriters Laboratories inspected safe No S-9215 Class A. I was wondering if you could tell me any information on the safe, I believe it's missing one acorn and a ball bearing track along with the handle for it's inner vault, could you recommend any possibilities for getting parts at?

Thanks, JH

Answer
Joel,

First off, HHM has been out of business since they were acquired by Diebold in 1959 and subsequently shut down between 1962-64.    The only parts that are going to be possibly available would be those that were salvaged of off safes being scrapped.   Problem being that there are NO records of parts, who might have them and/or where they might be.

So your first order of business would be to have the safe reassembled correctly to find out what problem areas exist.   This will give you a list of parts and/or items that you need to correct or look for.

some parts which are not available, might have to be hand fabricated.   With the exception of the lock, dial & dial ring, most other items on the safe can be replicated by any competent machine shop.

As far as this safe coming from a jewelry business, this is not and never was a jewelry or burglary resistive safe.   Unfortunately, many of the smaller independent jewelers are "cheap" buying any safe with a dial on it - thinking that ALL safes are created equal.   This safe was simply a "Document storage" safe, with a "class A" fire resistance rating.   Nothing more, nothing less.

As this safe is over 50 years old, it does not meet ANY standards for fire resistance, and it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.   It has no commercial or retail value, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.   It is not antique, nor is it collectible.

Ok, back to the safe.  You would need to discuss the project with a local safe company to find out what they would charge you to reassemble the safe and doors, to inspect it, service and repair it, and in general verify its operation.
Any problems or items would be noted, along with a listing of what parts you may need.   Until you have this done, you can't make a decision on whether or not repairs are going to be worth your time to salvage or restore this safe.

Hope this helps.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)