Antique Safes/Any info would be great?? Please

Question
front
front  
front
front  
QUESTION: I am picking this up as it was my Grandfathers. He purchased it about 20-30 years ago.
Take a look at the pictures and would be nice to know what year it could be, or any information would be nice. I do not intend to sell it but I wonder if I should insure it or have it identified on my homeowners insurance???
Old Diebold double door safe. 59" tall, 36" wide,29 1/4 " deep. Rough measures.

ANSWER: Rick,

while your grand father make have picked it up 20-30 years ago, it is much older than that.   Hopefully he didn't pay the $3500 listed on the safe!!!

I have two different reference dates for the beginning of the use of the "round door corners" by Diebold.   I'm still researching to come up with a conclusive date, but what I have at this time is - Diebold began using the round door corners between 1870-1885, and continued this style until the early 1920's.

As far as answering questions about your safe, you will have to be a little more specific.   If you have a question about a particular item I'll need a detailed photo of THAT item along with your question.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: That looks like a fairly normal size. What do you think it might weigh? I am going to have to move it several hundred miles and need to understand what I am getting into.

Thanks
Rick

Answer
Rick,

Sorry but a "normal" size safe from around the same time frame would be around half that size.

Without a having a lot more information, all I can do is guestimate, based on the photos that you have provided.

This safe could easily be in the 3500 to 4000 lb range.   If it has an interior jewelers chest this could add an additional 1000 lbs.

this is NOT the type of item that should try moving without special equipment.   I would not even recommend using normal moving companies as they are not equipped to handle items like this either.   Large heavy safes like this require special equipment.   For instance a big difference is that current model safes generally have a flat floor, so the weight of the safe is spread over a larger area,  With wheels, the weight is concentrated on very small areas.   if the safe is not shipped correctly, or if it does not have a pallet built to support the weight, the wheel can easily punch right through the bed of the trailer or truck bed.

This is NOT a DIY project!!!!

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)