Antique Safes/Old safe

Safe plate
Safe plate  
Hi Andy,
I came across a post you had responded to about the value of a safe. I recently "inherited" one and have no idea where to start as far as finding the value. I wonder if you could help me also? Below is a pic of the info on the safe. I can send u more pics, the only thing is the dial is missing.
Thanks in advance for your time,
Sent from my iPhone

Without even seeing the safe, I can give you some basic information based on the "Safe Manufacturers National Association" label you have provided.    NOTE:  SMNA was NOT a manufacturer, they were a testing agency for the safe companies (similar to UL).   They tested or rated safes from the mid 1920's until the early 1960's.
Basically the rating label indicates that your container had a "Specification F1-D" which indicates it was a "FIRE resistive safe".    The "Classification C rating", indicates that it was tested to exceed the 1 hour fire requirements.   I note on the label that it also indicates that SMNA only listed it as a "Fire Insulated Ledger Tray" and NOT as a safe, even though it passed the F1-D specifications.

As ANY container with an SMNA label is at a minimum OVER 50 years old, it does NOT meet any current standards for Fire resistance, and as this is NOT a burglary resistive container it also does not meet any current standards for burglary resistance.
This container is NOT going to have any current commercial or retail value, and it should not be used for overnight storage of any cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
As this is basically just "old office equipment", it has no collectible value, and as it is not over 100 years old it is not an antique.

So this basically covers all of the main categories.   While your container does not meet any of these standards, and therefore has no value under any of them, this in no way means that it has no value.   Value is just going to be severely limited as the container can only be used for general purpose storage.

If you would like me to look at the container to see what other information I can provide I would be happy to look at your photos.   Please send them to me at:

If you have any specific questions concerning the container ensure that you accompany your question with a photo.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada