Antique Safes/Safe weight

Safe weight or year ?
Safe weight or year ?  
Hello there.
I have a safe with some numbers stamped on top of the door edge close to the hinge. They read 5.2.10.
Are they relating to the year of mfg or the weight in old english units ( pounds, stones, quarters, hundredweights )
The safe is a John Tann

Sorry, I didn't respond right away, but I wanted to check some of my Tann reference material.   Unfortunately none refer to dates of manufacture, weight or serial number references.

In general most manufacturer's would have a "data" plate on the safe, if the safe had any standing or rating that was note worthy.   For instance high security safes are required to state the level or rating that they are designed for.  These data plates would have any pertinent information that the manufacturer felt was necessary, including weights and/or dates of manufacture.

Safes which do NOT have data plates are generally considered a non-rated safe.   The lowest level or non-rated safes, have doors which have less than 1" of steel (or equivilant material), and less than 1/2" of steel in the walls.   Your container would appear to be a non-rated container.

Due to the location of the numbers and their orientation, I would have to believe that it is possibly a date of manufacture, however as I mentioned none of my reference material lists info concerning serial numbers.    Manufacturers never publish info concerning serial numbers or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada