Antique Safes/Schwab safe

Question
safe
safe  
Hello Andy,
I would like to find out the age, model, rough value, and weight of a Schwab safe that I inherited from my grandfather. I had it in a storage unit that flooded so wheels and the bottom part rusted. Dimensions: 31h X 21w X 22.5d. Door is 4.25in thick. I do have a combination for the safe however, I cannot find a key to the keylock compartment. I donít have any paperwork for the safe either. Please see attached photo.
Thank you for your time and feedback.
Amra

Answer
Amra,

Your Schwab safe is from the late 1950's or early 1960's, model would be a "class C", 1 hour fire resistive safe.

This safe is over 50 years old, it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it is NOT a burglary resistive container.   Weight is probably in the 350 to 500 lb range.

Value:
Fire Resistance:     $0     Does not meet current standards,
Burglary resistance: $0     Is not a burglary resistive container
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value, should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique/collectible: $0     this is NOT antique (over 100 years old), and it is not considered collectible.   It would be considered "office equipment.

While the container does not meet any of the above standards, it can still be used for storage of "general purpose documents" or non-valuable items that you may still want to keep safe.   If it were in my show room I would probably have a price on it in the $250 to $350 range.

While cleaning it, servicing it, and painting it with a rust preventative paint would ensure that it continues to give service for years to come, it would not increase its value substantially.

Sorry, wish the news was better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)