Antique Safes/Stiffel & Freeman Safe cant open.

Question
Stiffel & Freeman Safe
Stiffel & Freeman Safe  
Hi I recently bought a house and found this old safe in the basement. The combo is on it but no one can open it. Curiosity is killing me as to what's inside....if anything. It is a 4 # combo. Attached is a picture of the lock. Hopefully you can give me some insight on how to open this thing!
Thanks!
Jenny

Answer
Jenny,

as you really didn't give me much to go on, the photo doesn't really help much, and you didn't provide the combination that you have so that I can try to "decode" it, I'll just have to provide some basics.

The two main locks that I've seen on these safes are the Yale 026/027, and the Yale OBB series type locks.  Dialing sequences are as follows:

Yale 027 series:

5 times left to the first number,
4 times right to the second number,
3 times left to the third number,
2 times right to the fourth number,
1 time left slowly until the dial stops (maybe around 10)

Yale 026 series:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,

Yale OBB series:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops  (maybe around 0 or 100)

Note:  left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as IT arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If these don't match up with what you have written down, or you have a question, I would be happy to address it, though it would probably be a big help to see what you have written down.   Print it exactly as written.

Generally old owners write down the combinations the way that THEY understand them, and NOT necessarily the way that the lock actually works, so if you are still having problems, it may be necessary to have a safe technician (NOT a locksmith), check the safe and your combination out.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)