Antique Safes/thomson & co safe

Question
I am trying to open a Thomson & co safe. It has been sitting in a friends basement for years. This safe does not have a combination lock only a thin flat key slot in the center. It is a horizontal slot in the center of the door. Is it still possible to find a key for this.

Answer
Steve,

I'm not sure why "YOU" are trying to open your friends safe - something doesn't sound right there!!!    I'm also not sure what you mean by "FIND" a key for this safe???    

If you mean that SOMEWHERE in the world, a key to this safe MIGHT be in someone's collection, and you MIGHT stumble upon it some day, then the answer would be "YES"!    Of course they also say that if you take an unlimited number of monkeys, and unlimited amount of paper and an unlimited number of typewriters, "SOMEDAY" one of the monkeys will accidently type out the novel "War & Peace"!!!

If you are asking about finding a NEW key for this safe, from a manufacturer which has been out of business since 1853, then the answer would be "NO"!   There are also no aftermarket companies which might be able to supply locks, keys or parts for old safes.

If you are asking about having a key made for the safe, then the answer would also be "YES", however with a caveat!!!   In order to have a key made for your safe, you NEED a safe technician who is familiar with antique safes, and specifically your safe, as it may need to be opened to have a key made.
In the entire US, there might be a dozen safe technicians that can (#1) make a key for your safe, and (#2) do it without ruining the safe!

Fortunately there are two individuals in your area that I might recommend.   As far as time, availability or cost, you would have to discuss this with them (though don't plan on it being cheap - this is very much a specialty type work!).

The first company I would recommend would be:

Precision Lock & Safe, Inc.
516-616-0854          Elaad Israli
240 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001

The second company I would recommend would be:

Hanover Lock & Safe
Lock Defeat Technology
781-871-4346          Philip Shearer
990 Washington St.
Hanover, MA 02339

Good luck, hopefully one of these guys can make a key for you.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)