Antique Safes/antique mosler vault door lock

mosler safe lock
mosler safe lock  
I am trying to find out how to operate this lock. It has 2 much smaller wheels on the back plate that don't have numbers on them and are not resettable along with 2 larger wheels which can be set to combination numbers.

Steve, you have in effect a 2 wheel lock as the 2 smaller wheels have been stripped of their outer sections. This is done for various reasons and you can most likely find replacements.  You always work backwards from the direction of the last turn to retract the bolt.  So in your case 3 times to first number, reversing twice to the second number and then reversing again to retract the bolt.  Your first direction will be the same as the direction that retracts the bolt. Depending on the age of the lock, it may actually be made Yale.   Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place