Antique Safes/antique safe

major floor safe
major floor safe  
I have a antique "major" brand floor safe i got from a bank  Back in 1983.. its open but i dont have combination.. i want to sell it and i dont know value...could u tell me what its worth of direct me to someone who can?

Sorry but you don't have an "antique" safe.   Antique's are over 100 years old - collectibles are 50 to 100 years old.   This container is probably late 1970's or early 80's.

A similar size brand new safe would go for about $400.    As a used safe, in its current condition, this container is worth around $50-$100.
Cleaned up with a fresh paint job, new lock and a nice interior would still only increase the value to about $150.

With the Piano type hinge, and its small size, this container does not provide any real security from burglary.   It was probably originally designed and intended to be installed inside of a regular safe, providing secure storage.

It is not a fire resistive container either.

This container should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or any valuable documents, unless it is installed inside of another safe.

Sorry, I wish the news was better.

As far as not having the combination, it would be fairly easy for a safe technician at a local safe company to reset it or recover it for you.   However the cost to have them come to you (mobile service) would possibly be more expensive than the container is worth.   Taking it in to their shop, would save you a considerable amount.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada