Antique Safes/Antique safe, Hall Safe Co? Are parts available.

I have just purchased a (what I believe) Hall Safe Co. Safe has the patent date of April 3, 1906. It's in poor condition, but I'm in the process of re painting it. I've been looking for one of these old safe's for a while. It was locked open when I acquired it but I found the combination by simply taking the back of the main door off and looking in the slot until things lined up. My question is with the secondary door. I assume there is a locking mechanism that should be there, but it's not. If I'm correct, and there needs to be a lock there, is their a place to get one? I'll send pics to your email.

Thanks for your time.

good luck with finding parts!!!   Unfortunately old safes are not like old cars.    While there have literally been millions and millions of cars, safe manufacturers generally were lucky to have made hundreds of thousands - many of the smaller companies made only thousands before going out of business.

As there is simply NOT the interest in old safes that there is in old cars, there is no market for obtaining old parts, nor is there a large enough market for "after market" manufacturing of locks.   So simply put, if YOU need parts for your safe, YOU will need to find another one just like it to use for donor parts.

Unfortunately, if it took you some while to find an old safe that you liked, you can probably multiply that time, by 10, to find another one just like it to use for parts.   Also worst case the second one you find may be in better condition, and your first one may be come the donor safe!

A better plan would be to simply ignore the missing lock and restore the safe as much as possible.    "IF" you ever find a replacement or similar lock, you can install it at that time.

trust me, missing interior locks on your safe, are not going to seriously affect the overall value of your safe.

The lock on the exterior door IS a different matter, and if this lock was missing, it would affect the value.

My advice - go ahead and restore your safe and enjoy it.   Keep your eye peeled for the missing locks, but don't worry about it too much.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada