Antique Safes/antique safe hinges broken

Question
I have an old safe I rescued from being hauled for scrap. As best I can tell it is an early 1900s hall or diebold floor safe. It worked great for a while and then one day I opened it and couldn't get the door to close back. Apparently the hinge was worn and I didn't realize it or someone has removed the washers or shims that go on the hinges. Anyways the bottom hinge is broken from the door. Looks like it has steel rivets or something that held it on and the inside of the door is poured with about 4 inches of concrete. I was going to just weld the hinge back into place but I think is made of cast iron which doesn't weld very well. Is there dome way to repair this problem properly?
Thanks, Albert

Answer
Albert,

You are probably correct that it is a cast iron, or cast material.    While cast iron can be welded, if done correctly, you are correct that it is not easy.

If you decide to repair the safe, I would recommend fabricating new hinges from scratch so that they match.    Trying to repair damaged hinges, its very easy to lose alignment, then the door won't open and close correctly.

Sorry that I can't tell you all of the items involved in replacing hinges, however you do need some machine shop capabilities, fabrication, welding, alignment & painting skills.   If you don't currently have these skills, then you will need to sub the work out.    Unfortunately about 99% of the safe companies in the country also don't have these skill sets available, and won't take the project on.    They will probably make references to your safe being a "boat anchor"!

Probably the closest company that I would recommend in your area would be:

Talton's  Safe  Company
5924 Fayetteville Road
Raleigh, NC 27603
Phone: 919-779-3545

Give Ray Talton a call and discuss the project with him.   I don't know if he can help you or not, but he would be your best bet.

Your other option would be to ship the safe to California.    We have the facilities and do several hinge repairs or replacements every month - obviously it will probably cost more than the safe is worth, but it can be done.

You might also have a machine / welding shop locally that can do the work.

Sorry I don't have a better solution.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)