Antique Safes/Antique Safe Locks

Question
I have an antique safe that was made in Victoria Texas that I am having restored by Matt L.  We are having difficulty finding the lock for the small inner drawer and the large inner door.  A locksmith from Victoria TX told me they are Yale locks.  Can you give me any leads on these locks.  Keys would be a plus but not necessary.

Answer
Charlie,

Sorry, but Yale locks have not been available for around 30 years now.    The only source would be a similar lock off of another safe.   Unfortunately there is no listing or database of these old lock parts.

Locksmiths and safe companies many times will strip parts like this off of an ole safe to have as repair parts, but no one keeps any kind of list of whats available much less what they have in their shop.    Generally they just comb through boxes of old parts looking for something similar.

What does this mean to you - you WILL need an exact foot print of the lock, showing the hole for the nose, and mounting screw holes.    Then proceed to knock on every safe and locksmith shop from the east coast to the west coast, until you luck out and find something that will fit.

In many cases if I don't have the correct lock for THAT foot print, I will simply weld up the holes, and start over from scratch with a lock that I do have.

You might discuss this with Matt.

Not having the actual locks that came with the safe will effect the value more than doing a nice job of retrofitting similar locks.    If the retrofit job is done correctly, you will never know that the lock is not original to that safe.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)