Antique Safes/approximate date of my safe

I demolition buildings and came across this walk in safe manufactured by Harring Hall Marvin and was curious as to the year it was made.It has 2 tags on it, one is a SMNA tag with spec F4, cat no. 6 3 and  13Y3699 on it.The other is a Underwriters Laboratories Inc. inspection tag with group 1  no# 185552 on it.I hope this is enough info.It consists of the door and door jam and must have at least 10 coats of paint on it.I didnt want to scrap it if it would be of interest or value to someone.Thank you for your time.

While HHM was in business from 1892 until they were acquired by Diebold during a bankruptcy in 1959 and subsequently shut down in the early 1960's, you do have some info on the safe that helps.   SMNA only tested and labeled safes and vault doors from about 1926 until the early 1960's.   While UL did start testing and labeling safes as early as 1914, many manufacturers were slow to utilize them.   HHM didn't start until the 1930's.

based on the photos you've provided, and the style of the dials and handles, etc.   This door would have been made during the late 1940's through the mid 1950's.

This is a fire door and not a burglary resistive door, rated for 1 hour of fire resistance.

Basically these doors have little commercial or retail value as they do not meet any current standards for fire resistance.   Chances are most of the insulation has severely cracked over the years.  Also, there are no repair or replacement parts available.
These doors also have little scrap value as there is very little actual metal in the doors, it is mostly mortar or gypsum type insulation.

this doesn't mean that the door has NO value, if it is in working condition, someone might want a door like this at home for a secure room.   But it would depend on its condition.
Items like this have no collectible value, and are not of any historical significance.

Sorry wish the news was better.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada