Antique Safes/Becher & Hildesheim

Question
Becher & Hildesheim
Becher & Hildesheim  
Becher & Hildesheim
Becher & Hildesheim  
QUESTION: Dear Sirs/Madams,

I'd like to kindly ask you for help with the following issue:

I have an old safe, marked as Becher & Hildesheim, that weights approx
1,5 tons. There are some labels on it, stating some years at the end of 19th century, but I'm not sure if they are related with mfg. date of the safe.

Pictures of the safe are attached to this messsage.

I'll really appreciate if you could somehow "locate and recognize" the safe and send me a bit more specific information about it - i.e. who might be its real manufacturer, how old it might be, does it have any value (historical, or so)...

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Luka

ANSWER: Hello Luka,

Thank you for your enquiry and the two excellent photographs.

I have spent a lifetime in the safe industry but I have seldom seen anything as beautiful as this.  Although they are almost certainly German, unfortunately I have absolutely no idea who Becher & Hildesheim were or whether or not they built this safe.  

My first impression is that it was probably built in the mid 1900's as I have seen French safes that look a little similar.

I imagine that it is worth a great deal and I suggest you contact an auction room specialising in period furniture.

I'm so sorry I can't tell you more but I am so pleased that you sent me pictures of such a wonderful thing.

Kind regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

QUESTION: Dear Sir,

Thank You for Your kind answer. Can You please suggest an auction room, which I may contact regarding the issue?

Regards

Answer
Hello Luka,

I think you are resident in Serbia and I don't know where you would go to auction there.  However, it may be worth sending details of your safe to the famous Christie's Sale Rooms in London. On their website they offer a free auction estimate.  If their estimate is high enough, it may be worth the expense of shipping it to the UK and putting up for auction in London.

Go to www.christies.com/services/auction-estimates/

Good luck,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer