Antique Safes/Becher und Hildesheim

Question
becher and hildesheim
becher and hildesheim  
Dear Sirs/Madams,

I'd like to kindly ask you for help with the following issue:

I have an old safe, marked as Becher & Hildesheim, that weights approx
1,5 tons. There are some labels on it, stating some years at the end of 19th century, but I'm not sure if they are related with mfg. date of the safe.

Pictures of the safe are attached to this messsage.

I'll really appreciate if you could somehow "locate and recognize" the safe and send me a bit more specific information about it - i.e. who might be its real manufacturer, how old it might be, does it have any value (historical, or so)...

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Answer
Luka,

I believe that your safe was made in Austria in the late 1800's, however that's about as much info as I have.

What a beautiful safe.   Unfortunately, I don't study European safe makers and have very little research on them.   I do have a couple options for you though, there are two other experts on this page (Allexperts - Antique safes) that are in England and do study European safes.    Contact Tom Gordon and Mike Palmer to see if they have any information about this safe for you.

The next and possibly better option would be to contact David and Desmond Siah in Singapore.   While they are not in Europe, Singapore was the center for trade for many centuries and many similar European safes made their way to the Orient through Malaysia.  David and Desmond specialize in exactly this type of safe.    If anyone has any information I would suspect that they do.   They also restore similar antique safes.

http://www.siaholdsafe.com/

Siah's Old-Safe Service LLP
Showroom is located at
No 50, Serangoon North Avenue 4
First Centre (Near Northstar)
#06-09 S555856

T: +65 6846 7141 or +65 9139 2827
E: enquiry@sosantiquesafe.com

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)